Working Women Community Centre
Sep 29, 2019
Metro Toronto Area
On Your Mark Academic Support Program Volunteering Objective: Tutors work closely with elementary and/or secondary school students within the Toronto Catholic District School Board and Toronto District School Board providing educational assistance and guidance.
· Provide assistance (in English) with homework, assignments, and other areas of studies where children may be experiencing difficulties, specifically Math and/or English on a weekly basis
· Work in cooperation with Program Coordinator(s), school staff in the selected schools (if applicable) and parents (if applicable) to develop a work plan that is best suited to students’ needs
· Assist in regular reporting and tracking of students’ progress, accomplishments and areas of difficulty
· Maintain a positive and enthusiastic attitude towards education and learning and be a positive role-model for your student(s)
· Follow all policies and procedures as outlined in the orientation and training packages Expectations/Criteria:
· Available a minimum of 1.5 to 2 hours a week either for AFTER-SCHOOL TUTORING OR SATURDAY MORNING TUTORING
· Provide program staff with references and permission to perform police background check.
· Maintain accurate attendance, logs and the completion of tracking information.
We are interviewing volunteers for the 2018/2019 school year.
Minimum hours per week
1.5 to 2 hours
Skills/Interests An Ideal Candidate Would Possess:
Student or graduate of a secondary or post-secondary institution
EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION SKILLS IN ENGLISH. Majority of Tutoring to help with reading and writing with students below grade level in this area. (Knowledge of Portuguese and/or Spanish an asset but NOT necessary).
Ability and / or interest to help students in all or some areas of reading, writing and math. NOTE: Volunteers have the opportunity to specify their subject area of strength and grade levels that they prefer to teach (e.g. Math for high school students).
Interest in the field of education and/or social services.
Some experience working with children and/or youth at the elementary and/or high school level an asset.
Download and complete the Application Form below, and then send it with your resume to to schedule an interview. Interviews can be scheduled from Monday to Thursday, from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, or on Friday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
2018/2019 Tutor Application Form: